School Philosophy, Culture and Ethos
Canossa Convent Primary School is a mainstream school set up by the Canossian Daughters of Charity.
To serve the poor in the Chinese community in the Geylang-MacPherson-Aljunied vicinity, the Canossian sisters purchased a piece of land with the intention of having an orphanage and a private Chinese school at Sallim Road.
The building was completed in 1941 and school was supposed to have started operating in January 1942. Unfortunately, war broke out that year. The day after the British surrendered, the Japanese army took part of the building to occupy it and the Sisters had to seek refuge elsewhere. By 8 March 1942, the Sisters were able to return to the building which was left in a poor state. It was only on 15 May 1942 that the Sisters were able to start the school with 117 boys and girls using Japanese as the medium of instruction.
After the war, in 1946, the intended private Chinese school was then established on the site for those who had reached school age. In 1951, due to a lack of funds, the Chinese private school was converted into a one-session Government-Aided English School. In 1962, with the growing population, the school became a double-session Government-Aided English School and eventually, an all-girls’ school. In 2009, the school was designated by MOE as a satellite school in recognition of the close inclusion partnership it had with Canossian School, a special education school for children with hearing loss, within the same campus.
The school underwent PRIME in 2012 and shifted back to its rebuilt campus on December 2014 after 2 years at a holding site. The new campus was officially declared open on its 75th anniversary celebrations on 23 August 2016 by Ms Low Yen Ling, Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Trade and Industry, Mayor of the South-West District, and the school’s alumna. The Canossian Heritage Gallery was also jointly opened by Ms Low, Roman Catholic Archbishop William Goh and the Provincial Leader of the Canossian Daughters of Charity Sr Theresa Seow that same day.