Home > SCHOOL INFORMATION > SCHOOL INFOGRAPH AND MILESTONE

SCHOOL INFOGRAPH AND MILESTONE

Year Key Event
1941 Canossa Convent Primary School was set up as a private Chinese school. The building was officially opened on 15 August 1941.
1942 During the war, part of the building was occupied by the Japanese. On 15 May 1942, the school started to operate using Japanese as the medium of instruction.
1946 After the war, the intended private Chinese school was then established for those who had reached school age.
1951 The school was converted into a one-session Government-Aided English School and the Canossian Sisters began to conduct classes. A kindergarten was also established at the site.
1962 The school became a double-session Government-Aided English School and eventually, an all girls’ school.
1981 School Management Committee was formed.
1996 1st Rebuilding of School (CCPS operated from a nearby holding school along Aljunied Road). 
1999 CCPS relocated back to Sallim Road in a newly conceptualised Canossian Eduplex.
2001 The official opening of the Canossian Eduplex by Roman Catholic Archbishop Gregory Yong
2009 The school was designated by MOE as a satellite school in recognition of the close inclusion partnership it had with Canossian School, a special education school for children with hearing loss, within the same campus.
2011 CCPS celebrated its 70th anniversary.
2012 The school relocated to a holding site to undergo PRIME to become single-session.
2014  The school shifted back to its rebuilt campus on Sallim Road in December.
2016 CCPS’ 75th anniversary celebration and its official re-opening by Ms Low Yen Ling, Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Trade and Industry, and Mayor of the South-West District, and the school’s alumna.
2018 The announcement of the school going co-educational in 2019 was made by Sister Theresa, then Provincial Leader of Canossian Daughters of Charity and Mrs Eugenie Tan, Principal of CCPS, to the stakeholders of the school.
2019 The school will be renamed Canossa Catholic Primary School as it prepares to take in boys at the Primary 1 level as a co-educational school.

Photo Gallery


Milestone 1.jpg
The school building was officially launched on 15 August 1941. The school was supposed to start operations in January 1942 but unfortunately, war broke out. 

During the war, part of the building was occupied by the Japanese. 

On 15 May 1942, the school started to function with 117 boys and girls using Japanese as the medium of instruction.
Milestone 2.jpg
In 1946, CCPS was registered as a Chinese school with Mother Magdalene Lye as Principal.
Milestone 3.jpg
In 1951, the school was converted into a one-session Government-Aided English School and the Canossian Sisters began to conduct classes.

A kindergarten was also established at the site.
Milestone 4.jpg
 
 In 1969, the total school enrolment was 1031.
Milestone 5.jpg   A classroom in the 1960s when the school became all-girls.
Milestone 6.jpg  In 2009, the school was designated by MOE as a satellite school in recognition of the close inclusion partnership it had with Canossian School, a special education school for children with hearing loss, within the same campus.
Milestone 7.jpg
On 23 August 2016, the school celebrated its 75th Anniversary and the official re-opening of the new campus after 2 years of rebuilding under the MOE PRIME programme.

Sister Theresa Seow, then Provincial Leader of the Canossian Daughters of Charity (Singapore & Myanmar), gave a welcome address during the celebration.
Milestone 8.jpg 
Sister Theresa, then Provincial Leader of the Canossian Daughters of Charity (Singapore & Myanmar), together with Mrs Eugenie Tan, Principal of CCPS, announced the decision to go co-educational in 2019 to the school’s stakeholders.

The school will be renamed Canossa Catholic Primary School.